187 Hours

That’s how long it is until I pick Husband up from the airport. And considering he has been gone 720 hours, that doesn’t seem so long, does it? The lack of time management I have shown in those 720 hours, leads me to believe I will still have things unfinished on my ‘To Do’ list when he arrives. But in the scheme of things, those undone items will seem fairly unimportant.

My mom is not doing well at all. The next few sentences are a bit graphic so you might want to skip on down. Not terribly, but not everyone will be interested in the particulars. I always hesitate to give too many details on her condition because I really don’t want this to be a sad place for you to come to. I will say, however, that her doctor has been very accurate in his assessment of her prognosis. He had originally told me when she was diagnosed, that we would see a marked decline in her health in 3-4 months and the first of August was 3 months. She has some really unpleasant days with lots of nearly unmanageable pain. She has increased her doses of both pain medication and respiratory therapies. She has had a very difficult time breathing over the past few days and at my urging called her doctor yesterday. He called her back last night and told her he was ordering some blood work for today.  Thank goodness for home health care – they will come to her house and take the blood. He suspects she is anemic and might need a transfusion. He believes she is losing more blood than she realizes. She has had several bouts of bleeding when she urinates. If she does need blood, I think we will have to take her by ambulance to the hospital (55 miles)and hopefully, though it is normally an outpatient procedure, he will opt to keep her just overnight because the trip is so very hard on her. Due to her need of oxygen 24/7 I would feel very uneasy starting off with her in my vehicle, especially as hot as it is. When she told me last night what he proposed, if the test came back as he anticipates, the first thing she said was: “if it doesn’t interfere with your anniversary trip”. I assured her he would want to do it right away and she would be home and feeling better before then. But as with everything else, if we have to postpone our little trip, then so be it. Priorities, you know. Our oldest son has offered to take a few days off and stay with her so we can go. It still all depends on if I think I should go when the time comes. But he will never know how much I appreciate the offer, even if I am unable to accept it.

On a much more pleasant note…I have BOTH of Husband’s anniversary gifts in my possession!  Of course I told you about the mix up with his “cheesy” gift…but then I knew I wanted to get him something else.  I thought and thought and came up with a traveler’s watch!


It has two dials…one for home…one for work.  I think he will like it.  He has ‘awards’ watches from his company, but this is a nice ‘dress’ watch.  I kinda got the idea from the two clocks I have hanging in my kitchen.  One has our time, the other his work time.  Every time I look at the clock during the day it makes me think of what he is doing at that very moment.  Like right now it is 10:42 a.m. there and he is sleeping. He will wake up at 4:30 p.m. his time or 9:30 a.m. here.  This a the closest to perfect schedule for him because although he is sleeping during the day there, when he travels back home, he will be fairly close to a normal schedule for here.  If that makes sense.

Let’s see what else is going on here.  Oh, seeds are in for fall planting.  Husband will plant just before he goes back the end of September.  Lettuce, carrots, spinach, Chinese cabbage.

Since it is just 4 a.m. here, I have plenty of time to get some work done before everyone else is up.  Trying very hard to get a bit ahead with business stuff, never knowing when I will have to take time off.  AND get some lesson plans finished up.  We start back to school Monday.  Plus, I am trying to get some notes/ideas written down for the remodeling job that will start while Husband is home this time.  Basically all I am really responsible for  is picking out the paint and the front door I like.  And us agree on it…which is usually a breeze.  I very readily defer to his eye for color as I know whatever he has picked in the past has been just perfect.  This living room project will be wonderful.  I know he is putting recessed lights in, putting up new trim and baseboards, door frames…refinishing the oak floors that are under the most awful carpet, replacing the front door, built in entertainment center, one whole wall of book shelves and cabinets and with red walls (a warm red) and white trim. I think the red, white and oak will look lovely.   All the trim in our house is white.  I will do before, during and after pictures.  Of course won’t all get done this time but will be finished for the holidays.  We have talked about having a big holiday gathering for friends and family.  We did this several years ago and I think we fed something like 40 or so.  And in the dark as we were under tornado warnings and lost electricity…that is a story for another time!  But we pulled it off and had a wonderful evening.  Since he will be home from the 20th of December we have time and we love to feed people.

Better get started on my day…it will be a long one.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

I am so very glad to hear that hubbie will be home soon, and also so very sorry to hear that your mom is declining so rapidly.

praying that your mama has some relief, and you, some peace. it’s a hard path you both must walk….

I’m sorry to hear of your mom’s health condition.. glad that your husband will be home soon.. love the watch 🙂

Take care and happy day today.


I really like that watch, great idea!!

such a tough season in your mom’s life and yours right now…I’m sorry…times like these wear the heart out…but it is good to be in a position to be with your mom as she travels this last path…it means everything 🙂

(((a big hug for you & yours)))

I am so terribly sorry to hear about your mum. We went through lung cancer with my dad this past spring. He did not want to suffer a terribly long time, and God was merciful to him, though it hurt us so much to lose him so quickly. My dad was in severe pain only a few days, and that was really too much for us. He didn’t want us to see him like that. I pray that you will experience God’s sufficient grace during this time. I know now what that means. God is so good.

You get up WAY too early, girl. I secretly wish I would be an early riser so I could have some time to sort out my day. The watch is perfect……….. what a great gift. Hoping your mom is feeling less pain tomorrow than today.

Love the watch, glad your hubby will be home soon, and sorry to hear about your mom.

It sounds like you will be having fun with the remodeling!